Monday 5 October 2015

Not just a Box

Pictured above: A crime against art

This is a picture I made of a rather distressed rabbit braving some white water rapids. I am unsure whether he is distressed because of the imminent dangers of the rapids or because he is realized he is completely see-through. Regardless, he is using the power of his imagination to transform what is a quite ordinary box into an extraordinary adventure. 

Creativity is an indispensable part of human nature. It helps us to both survive and thrive, solve problems seemingly impossible to solve, have fun, and feel fulfilled. As a future teacher, my creativity is going to be one of my greatest allies. The material I might have to teach students may remain the same year after year e.g. every student needs to know how to write a paragraph, but the way I go about modelling and teaching students about that concept should change depending on the student's strengths and learning needs. Creativity helps keep the classroom fun and memorable.

Apart from my own creativity, it is also the job of the teacher to cultivate student creativity. Teachers should be facilitators, creating an ideal environment for students to express themselves and grow. I want to encourage my students to feel like they can look at the world in different ways than their peers. One of the things I love the most about teaching is when a student presents an idea I've never thought of before. I can help keep students learning and growing, but students also help me to expand as a person as well.    

No comments:

Post a Comment