Wednesday 16 September 2015

Welcome to Mathmagic Land

Durer, Albrecht. "Melancholia I." (1514)
[Copper Plate Engraving] Retrieved from
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mathematics_and_art

Hello everyone!

            This section of my blog is devoted to the wonderful world of math, specifically my reflections and experiences relating to the course 8P29. Although my background is wholly in English and the Humanities (I have an Hon B.A. in English and an M.A. in English, both from McMaster University), I am eager to expand my skill set and while I’m doing so brush up on some of the math I’ve forgotten over the years.

            We live in interesting times in general, and especially as educators. The role of teacher and student is changing, and the educational resources we have at our disposal are more varied and diverse than ever. With SmartBoards, educational apps, games, and other mathematical modelling tools being developed, teachers don’t have to look very far to make their math classrooms interesting. I’m hoping with the guidance of my instructor and my peers, I can gain the skills and resources to make my classroom interactive, fun, and most importantly, educational. I want my students to come away from my classroom having learned some math skills they can hopefully retain the rest of their lives.
  
          Before I end this post, I’d like to give a little explanation for the title of this section of the blog. “Mathmagic Land” is actually a reference to a 1959 Walt Disney educational video entitled Donald in Mathmagic Land, where Donald Duck learns about all the way math influences our lives, from its relationship to music, architecture, art, and even how it can help you be better at billiards! I watched that video in my grade 10 math class, and you can actually find it all on YouTube here. The teacher, Mr. Turingia, was my favourite math teacher because although he was soft-spoken, he had an incredible ability to help me understand mathematical concepts. I hope I can even be half as good as he is at making math approachable to students.


            Well, that’s all for now. I’m sure I’ll have much more to say in the upcoming posts, so stay tuned!  

No comments:

Post a Comment